Wednesday, August 28, 2013
Monday, August 19, 2013
- Sen. Dan Patrick (SD 7) is running for Lt. Governor, and he will be replaced in the Senate by former Harris County Tax Assessor-Collector Paul Bettencourt.
- Sen. Ken Paxton (SD 8) is running for Attorney General.
- Rep. Brandon Creighton (HD 16) is running for Agriculture Commissioner.
- Rep. Craig Eiland (HD 23) has announced his retirement from the legislature.
- Rep. Mark Strama (HD 50) has resigned from the legislature to head up Google Fiber in Austin, and a special election to fill is seat will be held November 4.
- Rep. Harvey Hilderbran (HD 53) has announced he is not seeking reelection to the House and is expected to declare next week for Comptroller.
- Rep. Van Taylor (HD 66) is running for SD 8 (Paxton) and is the likely winner.
- Rep. Stefani Carter (HD 102) is running for the Railroad Commission seat being vacated by Chairman Barry Smitherman, who is running for Attorney General.
- Rep. Dan Branch (HD 108) is running for Attorney General.
Monday, August 12, 2013
Thursday, August 1, 2013
Monday should be another fascinating day at the legislative race track. House leadership has to decide whether they want to pass the bill, or do they want to resolutely kill it. They have the votes to do either. But, if they are not decisive, SJR 1 will spin out on the slick House track tantalizingly close to the finish line and we will be back for a Fourth Called Session.
UPDATE 8/2:Thank you for the blog entry on the transportation bill. As you can imagine Sen. Nichols is hopeful this thing can get done next week. I did want to mention one thing I noticed in your report. The House committee passed HJR 1 out yesterday, not SJR 1. Unfortunately that means if it passes on Monday we will have to pass it through our process (which should not be an issue) in the Senate. I am unaware of a House rule that would allow Pickett to swap out the HJR for the SJR unless Phillips reconvenes his committee and votes out the SJR.